Sunday 28 July 2013

Style ARC Ashley dress pattern review


Pattern Description: 
ASHLEY DRESS: This dress can be made with a ruched designer skirt or, if you prefer a plain pencil skirt. The new interesting sleeve treatment gives the dress style and comfort. Gathers from the neckband and the front side seams allow a gentle shape over the bust. If you choose to use the ruched skirt you will find it very flattering whilst hiding any lumps & bumps. This new length dress can be made fully lined or unlined, the choice is yours.

Based on size 10 pattern measurements:
Bust: 95cm or 37 1/5"
Waist: 76cm or 30"
Hip: 99cm or 38 1/2"
Centre back length: 98cm or 38"
Hem circ: 94cm or 37"
FABRIC SUGGESTION & DESCRIPTION: Stretch silk, stretch crepe or a suitable knit.
Pattern Sizing:
I made the 12


Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes, even if I didnt use the recommended fabric

Were the instructions easy to follow?
I didnt understand the split at the back, but am working on my interpretation skills and am sure next time I will. 

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
The rushing, the VB reference, the seaming, the ruching. everything!



Fabric Used:
A missoni type of poly knit that I bought at the markets in Holland for steal. 



Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
Change the fabric, left out the zipper, lengthen the skirt, omit the back vent. I also needed to take out a lot of width on the skirt with my change in fabric. 


Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Yes I will, in a stretch crepe from my stash that already has this patterns name on it. I just need to figure out the vent thing 

Conclusion: 
Another fab dress form Style Arc. This dress is very flattering on, and can be made with or without the ruched skirt for a simpler version. 














8 comments:

  1. I love this dress on you. The fabric is terrific. Sometimes I have to figure out Style Arc's patterns through trial and error too. The instructions can be sparse but I find the patterns sew up to flattering garments that I will wear again and again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Nothy. I agree the patterns that Style Arc create are so wearable! Very much something to wear again and again and make multiples of in different fabrics.

      Delete
  2. It looks fantastic in this fabric :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolyn. I played with the fabric stripes for a bit and decided to turn the skirt pieces on the opposite angle to get the stripes to go like that. Love it when a plan comes together ;-)

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh, love this. I love how you used that Missoni fabric - I've come across it on sale before too and I can never figure out what to do with it! Very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. I think ill never run out of ideas when it comes to missoni type knits!

      Delete
  4. Hi,
    Please forgive my leaving this in a comment, I couldn’t find an e-mail address for you. I’m making an index of Australian sewing bloggers, which you can find here: http://iammsfrizzle.blogspot.com/2014/12/sewists-of-australia.html I hope you don’t mind being on it- just let me know if you want to be removed. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks maren, it's great to be included. Awesome initiative!

      Delete